Yesterday I found out something new about Visual Studio. Documentation indicates that it has been with us since VS 2012 (maybe earlier) but I encountered it yesterday.
It’s fair to say, my MBP is dated and well past it’s prime. It’s a Mid 2009 13” Core 2 Duo that I purchased new in Jan 2010. It was my very first personal laptop and has worked flawlessly for the last 3 years. I’ve taken good care and given it three updates (before this week), Memory Upgrade from 4 Gig to 8 Gig, HDD Upgrade from the default 270 (or so) Gig to a 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue. The third upgrade was from OSX Snow Leopard to OSX Lion.
WinRT never ceases to throw a curveball at the you. I was trying to change the default ‘Violet’ color of the ProgressBar and ProgressRing to something more ‘in tune’ with my app’s style, but the only ‘violet’ color visible was the Foreground property, but changing it did nothing to change the color of the ‘running dots’.
Last night I opened an ASP.NET MVC project in Visual Studio 2013 that was originally created in Visual Studio 2010 and found that 4 of the six projects in the solution were not loading. This solution was working in VS 2012 earlier so I was wondering what went wrong!
Time has come when I should put this down on the interwebs for people to find easily. Given that Windows 8.1 is due and Windows Store is a little over a year old now, lots of people will be running into this issue. I had a horrid time renewing my Windows 8 Store Developer account mostly because of Microsoft’s shitty support site implementation which repeatedly misguides you. So here is what you have to do when you receive a mail from MS saying your store account is up for renewal (usually sent one month in advance).
I just spent a few lazy minutes looking up what it takes to name assets (images) for appropriate scaling, and since I didn’t find the correct keyword to look it up in one go, writing this down to bookmark it for myself.
Previously I have blogged about how I converted my Raspberry Pi into a DLNA Media Server. When we moved to UK I brought along my media server and it was up in a jiffy. However, yesterday, when I sat down to build my long pending Windows 8 Media Client on my rebuilt Windows 8 VM, it simply wouldn’t show the MediaPi (name of my Media Server) when I selected ‘Computer’ in Windows Explorer.
Okay folks, we have moved out of the country again. Something we thought we wouldn't really do after our US adventure.
In my previous article I had mentioned how I setup a Samba based file server using my Raspberry PI to share media across my computers in my home network. It works fine, but still it’s not really streaming the media and I figured out that I still couldn’t use my media via the XBox because XBox doesn’t work with Network shares unless they are over UPnP. So the next quest was to setup a UPnP server on my Pi.
Updated August 1, 2013: You can also control your Blob storage!